On todays episode I had the pleasure of interviewing Val Geisler, a fellow email marketer that I look up to big time. Val manages the email marketing for ConvertKit, is the host of the Reach podcast and also runs a blog of her own over at valgeisler.com. I've listened to Val on all of her Reach podcast episodes as well as her interview on the Being Boss podcast and I just knew I had to have her on the show.
Here's what we discussed on todays episode:
- How Val went from being a Virtual Assistant to shifting gears and project managing an entire team of Virtual Assistants
- Why it's important to specialize in one key area instead of being a Jack or Jill of All Trades
- Get clear on what it is that you love doing and pivot your business to focus on offering that service to your audience
- How she went from being an entrepreneur to intrapreneur (def: An intrapreneur is an inside entrepreneur, or an entrepreneur within a large firm, who uses entrepreneurial skills without incurring the risks associated with those activities)
- The importance of asking for what you want and being proactive in creating opportunities for yourself
- Email Marketing
- The power of text based emails and why emails don't have to be full of images and buttons in order to convert
- Email isn't your brand - how you can use your brand voice to showcase your brand without having to incorporate design elements
- Why email marketing has higher engagement rates and conversion rates than say, social media
- Why it's important to keep up to date on inbox placement rules to ensure your emails are actually being seen
- 5 tactics for turning your blog posts into an email
- How to use email marketing mistakes as a learning opportunity and continuously use these learnings to refine your processes
Resources and Links:
- ConvertKit - Email Marketing Software
- Reach Podcast
- FreshBooks - Accounting for Small Business Owners
- Caitlin Bacher
- Nathan Barry
- Val on Instagram
- Val on Twitter
Did you LOVE this episode?
1. Subscribe to the Learn To Love Email podcast in iTunes so that you're notified every Tuesday when a new episode goes live.
2. Please leave me a review on iTunes (click the reviews & ratings tab next to details) so that it's easier for other small business owners, like yourself, to discover my podcast and learn how they can use email marketing to grow their business.